Here is an overview of the requirements to be met and the different steps to be taken to adopt a child.
The following may be candidates for so-called "ordinary" adoption:
- Married couples if they have been in the same household for at least 3 years
- Single persons who are not, in principle, married or in a registered partnership
You must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
- To have an age difference of at least 16 years and not more than 45 years with the child to be adopted (exceptions are possible)
- To have raised and cared for the minor child for at least one year (no exception)
- To have the required consents (of the child and of the protection authority in charge of following the procedure, as well as the parent's consent)