Skip to main content

Rental deposit

The person from whom you are renting your apartment is delaying repairs that are his/her responsibility. You can deposit your rent to induce him/her to remedy defects. However, you must follow the steps outlined below in order for your deposit to be valid.

What is a rent deposit?

This procedure can only be initiated by a tenant under certain conditions:

  • The ''leased property'' must have a defect that is the responsibility of your landlord to repair.
  • You must have informed your landlord of the defect and given him/her a reasonable time limit in writing to remedy it.
  • You must also inform him/her of your intention to pay rent on deposit in case the repairs are not performed within the given time limit.

The deposit with the Financial Services of the Judiciary Power will only be possible if, after all these steps, the landlord has not remedied the defect or has not undertaken any repairs.

How to pay rent on deposit?

Step 1: submit your request for deposit

You must fill in a rental deposit form, which is also available at the Financial Services Desk and the Greffe universel.

Access to the application form

The completed, dated and signed form must be forwarded to the Judiciary Power's Financial Services:

Once received, the form is completed with the deposit number (14L …) and is returned to you by mail or
e-mail, or given to you directly on the day of your request if you made it at the desk.


Step 2: make your first payment

Following the return of your form by the Financial Services, you can make your first payment by bank transfer by entering the deposit number in the payment reference.

If you have applied at the desk, the first rent is deposited directly in cash, by debit or credit card.

Any payment received without reference to the deposit number will be returned.

Your landlord (or his/her representative) is notified of the deposit and you receive 12 referenced payment slips that must be used for future payments.


Step 3: file a petition with the Commission de conciliation en matière de baux et loyers

The deposit is an interim measure. Within 30 days of the due date of the rent paid on  deposit, you must submit a request to the Commission de conciliation en matière de baux et loyers to assert your claims against the landlord. If this deadline is not met, the rent will be awarded to the landlord.

Access to the application form




Place du Bourg-de-Four 1
1204 Genève

Contact details

Year-end office hours from December 25, 2023 to January 1st, 2024 included

The Financial services will be closed.

Nevertheless the desk will be open for emergencies such as seizures, interim measures and interim release securities on December 26, 27, 28 and 29, 2023 from 9h to 12h and from 14h to 16h.

--> Resumption of the usual working hours indicated below as of January 2, 2024.

Usual working hours


Opening hours
Emergencies at the Financial Services Desk (securities/guarantees, seizures, urgent interim measures): 14h-17h

Financial Services

Bill collection

Accepted payment methods:

Cash, credit/debit cards (Postcard, Maestro, Vpay, Mastercard & Visa, Twint)

The payment of the slips are not allowed at the desk.

Mailing address

Services financiers
Case postale 3675
1211 Genève 3

Bill collection

See also

Direction des finances

The mission of the Direction des finances is to coordinate multi-year financial planning as well as the preparation of the draft annual budget and to ensure its follow-up. It is also responsible for keeping the ongoing accounting of the Judiciary Power and for ensuring the correct use of the financial means allocated by the political authorities.

Commission de conciliation en matière de baux et loyers

This commission intervenes in disputes relating to a lease contract or a non-agricultural usufructuary lease contract, involving an immovable property.


Mediation is a conflict resolution process in which a mediator, who is a neutral, impartial and independent third party, facilitates communication between the protagonists and helps them to find a fair and lasting solution to their conflicts by themselves.

Legal advice service and legal counsels

The Judiciary Power does not provide legal advice. You can contact the following associations and organizations.